Saturday, April 28, 2012

Plaid Blouse

After we had a couple of warm days in March, I thought I should sew some blouses for spring/summer. I am always caught unprepared and go through my closet looking for cool clothes, only to be disappointed with what I find there.

I noticed this plaid cotton on a shelf in my sewing room (it was intended for a dress for my daughter, but she declined the plaid, preferring a solid navy instead). Which meant this fabric was mine. Just the right weight for a summer blouse and bright and cheerful too. I had a couple of patterns in mind for this, one with interesting princess seams and a square front yoke which could be cut on the bias for interest, but instead I opted for this McCalls pattern, view B with the three-quarter sleeves. It is out of print, not surprising since the date on the pattern is 2006. It only takes me 6 years to get around to using patterns!

I added tabs to the sleeves so that they can be rolled up and buttoned in place. Found that pattern piece in a pattern that I made up more than 20 years ago. Aside from that, I followed the pattern directions, using a French seam on the sleeves so that they would look nice when rolled up. I did the buttonholes and sewed on the buttons before adding the sleeves, and that meant today when I put in the sleeves and serged the seam, I was done!

Next I plan on making two pairs of capris from this pattern, another out-of-print pattern, no date on this one though. The pattern says it is low-rise pants in 3 lengths, which means that the crotch depth should be perfect for me without alteration, and I will end up with pants that come to my actual waist, which is now non-existent. Oh for a different body type!

I have a cream cotton fabric for this and I am going to go through my navy stash to see if there is a cotton or linen blend in there that will work for this. So far, I haven't been to the fabric store in weeks, and I am very proud to be sewing from the stash. I am feeling guilty about the amount of fabric that I have here, and can't justify purchasing any more until I sew some of this down. So I am keeping to my resolution of one purchase for every two stash fabrics sewn; actually I am doing better than that, because the last three garments have been sewn from the stash. And that includes thread and buttons. Feels good!

7 comments:

  1. That is a pretty plaid. I am always attrackted to a bright colored plaid. They just make me happy. Hope your weather stays warm so you can wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice top. Love the pretty plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute blouse, Julie - I really like the combination of collar stand (ie, no actual collar) and tabbed sleeves, and the bias placket. Warmest always from me & Joel to you, Nick, and all my former buds at Dal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful top, Julie. Love the collar stand, tabs on sleeves and the bias button band. Perfect summer shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I love the colour and the plaid. Beautifully cheerful for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty plaid shirt! I like the bias placket. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect shirt for summer...I love plaid too,it really is cheerful.

    ReplyDelete